“Sekolah mana yang okay untuk hantar anak-anak?”
That is not an uncommon question that parents encounter, especially at this time of the year where everyone is gearing up to face the new year. For parents with children who are just about to enter the world of education for the very first time, this could be a very daunting task as there are loads of preschools out there to choose from!
So…HOW do we choose the best preschool? In the latest episode of #GOGENIUS on Bernama Radio, Puan Zaliza Alias shared some interesting pointers that parents should definitely keep in mind when it comes to choosing the best preschool for their child!
What are some of the qualities that should be included in the package of a good preschool?
- Balanced Nutrition
- Well-Rounded Programme
- Doesn’t view lessons as just classroom subjects we go through on the daily timetable, but relates them to themes that will develop the students’ skills in a holistic and complete manner.
What are the areas of development that a child will be coached on in preschool?
- Physical Development (Fine Motor & Gross Motor)
- Social-Emotional Development
- Cognitive Development
- Language Development
A good preschool will ensure that all children will have equal opportunities to nurture these areas of development in a balanced manner. Therefore, it is really important that you ask the teachers about the programme and see the areas that your children will be assessed on when you make enquiries! For example, at Genius Aulad, the children are not only assessed by their workbook and reading progress, but things such as their ability to use scissors and interaction with their peers are assessed as well!
Should parents do their own research on the schools that they approach?
There are a few things that you can do, other than going through a school’s website and social media to formulate an opinion on whether it is the best fit for your child.
- Cross-check with the social media pages of the other branches, even if they are under the same brand! This is so you can get an idea on what kind of programmes the school should be running. Don’t forget to compare it to the main HQ social media pages too.
- Attend Open Days that are held by the schools. This is an excellent way to get a live experience on what to expect, be it in the way the teachers interact with your children or even with you. Genius Aulad centres typically offer Free Trial Class, which are excellent opportunities for you to test out whether our teachers and approaches are compatible with your children or not!
What is the length of time that it takes to decide whether a school or programme is compatible with your child?
Actually, it could take place within a day, a week, a month or even a year. What I would like to share though, is that sometimes parents need to put more faith in their children. Over the years, we have witnessed parents going through separation anxiety during the school’s trial period, some even more so than their children! When our children sense our uncertainty, it could affect their transition as well. Transition periods are also times when there are ups and downs, and that is a very normal thing. Some parents even go as far as messaging teachers every single day to ask whether their children did alright, what they did, etc. to the point where it affects their work and personal time. Sometimes, we just have to have faith in the teachers and especially our children. We need to give them space to adjust, as trust plays a huge role in the development of young children.
Want to know more? Watch a rerun of this episode on our Facebook Page too!
See you next week for the next one!